Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Revenge

These two days have been stressful. It is the time of the year; the annual budget review for financial year 2012. This is my second year leading the budget team of HR division. The budget review started yesterday and having the portfolio closest to one's heart, HR was given the limelight to present first before the other business core divisions. Great. And in the absence of my immediate superior, the GM entrusted me to deliver the presentation. Wait, the management committee members were there and the MD/CEO chaired the meeting. Wow.

Manpower cost and operating expenditure budget are expected to increase in next FY. Frankly, my superior and I have predicted that the alarming cost will attract much concern. True enough, to the extent that at one point the MD/CEO said 'I am not comfortable to present this to the Board. I am not going in. You present this to the Board, Jaja'. *Glurppp* How would you feel if you were in my shoes? Suddenly the huge body felt sooo tiny, almost invisible infront of the bosses of the company. So we had to re-present the budget this morning.

Being a subsidiary company, there are costs that are cascaded by the mother company for the initiatives conducted for the groupwide. It is like a 'given' instruction. So we had to budget for the expenses whether we like it or not. And for having to be questioned over something beyond my control, it was the most depressing 60minutes of my life!

Went back to my workstation and summarized everything in 2 slides to address the concern raised during the meeting.

14.09.2011 is my victory day. 'This is clearer. Kalau u present macam ni semalam kan senang Jaja..' I just nodded and smiled. Hey, the previous slides were presented to my manager and GM way way before the budget review. So the lesson is not solely mine to digest :P I guess it is better for the MD/CEO to nag me rather than my manager or GM. If not, diorang lagi malu. Atleast I am just a 4-year-experienced executive. Telan je la labu.

The presentation last for only 5 minutes. Not long after leaving the meeting room, I received an sms from the Finance Executive. 'Jaja, can u email the softcopy of ur waterfall chart. MD/CEO wants every division to follow HR's slides :)'

I got my revenge. Senyum sampai telinga! At the end of the day, the hardwork paid off. I think I should frame the waterfall chart, the victory. What say u? Haha

One thing for sure, I understand it is not easy to assume an MD/CEO position. As much as how depressing it was during the first day, I tried to remain optimist about the challenge. Sengih je, apa susah ;p

Alhamdulillah :)
posted from Bloggeroid

2 comments:

nusk said...

harus bangga dengan penat lelah dan usaha gigih yang membuahkan hasil. cayalah! ;D

J@ja said...

oh bile igt balik kata2 berbisa tu takdela rs bangga sgt ;p nonetheless, it was a great experience. seb baik mmg jenis muka tak malu. hehe sengih je